Wednesday, July 6, 2011

One Last Disguise (Shadows & Scars: Update 04)

July 6, 2011
9:31 pm
Location: Hamburg, PA

Listening to: Project 86, Songs to Burn Your Bridges By

Progress has been slow. The writing process cannot be done entirely in solitude, but sometimes you do need to disconnect from everything and throw yourself completely into the material your working with. I have had some of these moments but I need like a week or a month, lol. Alas.

Here are a few excerpts from the poems I've been working on:


"She stirs her coffee, slowly,
like a metaphor I can’t quite understand,
while I watch the steam rise and fade
in the morning sunlight, like a metaphor
I’m all too familiar with."


"You put this gasoline
in my veins,
then denied me a match.
Still, I burn."


"Ironic, how
you were so afraid
I would leave,
but you are the one
walking away."


"My own personal Nagasaki.
A Hiroshima hit to the center
of my seven-year-old universe.

Instant devastation
as the mushroom cloud rose
like a headstone over our home."


and a "finished" poem, appropriately bridging UC and S&S:


I Feel the Weight of Every Word, Double-Edged

Sometimes confessions
evolve into inquisitions,
but still I hold the mirror –
covering half your face,
reflecting half of mine.

The blade cuts both ways.
Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment